The Gulfstream G550 offers the highest-performing, most cost-effective and reliable platform to deliver airborne surveillance support to the U.S. military.
International special mission programs around the world, including those in Israel, Italy and Singapore, for years have operated advanced intelligence-gathering systems from a G550 platform rather than a commercial airline platform. Most recently, the U.S. Navy has selected the G550 as its platform of choice for special missions, and another dozen or so nations are considering the G550 to meet their operational requirements.
The G550 is under consideration as a new platform for JSTARS, a U.S. Air Force Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System. JSTARS tracks moving targets on the ground over wide areas and communicates those movements to military personnel on the ground, in the air and at sea.
The G550 offers significant advantages over a competing airline platform:
IMPROVED MISSION EFFECTIVENESS
- HIGHER: A 24 percent higher cruise altitude means the G550 provides more than 20 percent wider scope of surveillance, increasing target detection and tracking by 70 percent
- FASTER: G550 capabilities offer quicker deployment times; faster transit times to on-station points; and higher egress speeds
- FARTHER: 9 percent range advantage enables deployments with fewer stops; provides greater time on station; improves mission flexibility; reduces demand on air-refueling assets; and increases basing options
- GREATER: The G550 has better takeoff and landing performance and can access 676 more runways around the world. Reduced fuel load and smaller footprint allows the G550 to be stationed at hundreds more bases around the world, enabling faster arrival to a mission and longer time on station
The G550’s wider scope and better angle over mountainous terrain improves targeting and tracking.
LOWER OPERATING COSTS
- Independent analysis of a 10-year U.S. Air Force cost analysis shows that total ownership costs for a G550 are as much as 29 percent lower
- Fuel burn per flight hour for the G550 is 50 percent lower than an airline platform, which over a 20-year period could alone save the U.S. Air Force $2 billion
- Gulfstream aircraft in the C-37A/B programs have earned the FAA Diamond Award for excellence and hold the highest dispatch reliability rates of any aircraft in the U.S. government inventory
- Life cycle maintenance costs per G550 aircraft are the lowest of any U.S. Air Force fleet
WORLDWIDE PRODUCT SUPPORT
- Gulfstream provides 24/7 technical support and service 365 days a year
- 13 service centers and a $1.6 billion parts inventory are strategically placed around the globe
- Rapid response provided by Field and Airborne Support Teams (FAST), part of Gulfstream’s 4,000-strong product support network